Thursday, June 12, 2008

Joe

So you've met Kirby the kitty, now meet Joe, my bearded dragon!















Joe is now 2 and 1/2 years old. It blows my mind. We got him when he was just 9 weeks old and was such a little fella!















He's now 23 inches long but is still my baby boy. So how did we end up with a lizard? Funny story. J and I had been together for almost a year. Our first year was a really really really really rough one (maybe I'll explain that another time). And finally, a year into it, we were stable again. Our favorite store was PetLand. J always admired the reptiles and wanted one soooooo bad. We literally went every single day to visit the animals and we knew all the salespeople. Finally one day, I said "Alright, if you can find and buy all the stuff we need to have a lizard, we can get one."

You see, lizards aren't like bringing home a kitten or a puppy. There's sooo much to think of. Lights, temperatures, substrates, diet, vitamins and minerals, finding a vet, finding a tank ... its a lot of work. Basically I figured J would try for a day or two and give up. Apparently I was wrong. Within a week everything was ready for our new bundle of joy.

J had already picked out Joe and was visiting him multiple times a day, on lunch breaks, before school, after school, while I shopped for groceries ... he just loved the little guy. I wasn't expecting to really feel anything, I mean really, its a lizard. But that first night, I learned all about sleepless nights and parental anxiety lol. Joe was so weirded out by the move that he wouldn't lay down and sleep. His cage was at the foot of our bed and I stayed up all night just watching him, trying not to panic that he wasn't sleeping. Stress is really bad for reptiles and I could tell my 9 week old baby was stresssssssssssed!

Somehow we made it through and before you know it, Joe was our first child. He's been to Silver Star Ski Resort on a ski vacation, Tofino for a family vacation, to the cabin, and to grandma and grandpa's. Since we've had him we've moved 4 times and he's been a little trooper each time. In the summer months we like to take family picnics at parks and let him get some natural sunlight. He likes to ride shotgun on Dad's shoulder on walks, sleep on Mom's tummy during movies and hang out when Mom does homework. He loves to come out and visit when we have company and people are fascinated by him.

Most people doubt a reptile can have personality, but I'm hear to say, they sure can! Joe is the master of the evil eye. Whether he is not impressed with today's salad or Kirby stole one of his precious crickets, he can give the stink eye like no other. He loves people. Loves them. Joe adores coming out for visits and most people fall in love with him right away (well, except for my close friend HydroBoy, he hates Joe because he is deathly afraid of him). My mom likes to carry Joe around on her shoulder, he had naps with my dad, my mother-in-law introduces him as her grandson ...! He's truly a part of the family. He's just amazing and I love my big boy.

No comments: